Skip to main content

Nikita Process

Lately I have been working on a couple pet commissions.  One is a Siberian cat and I will be starting an English Bulldog very soon.  Just thought you might see my day to day work on the Siberian cat portrait.

This is my sketch for the portrait, I tried to get as much detail as I could, because winging fur like this is really annoying, and the painting went by a lot smoother because of going the extra distance with the drawing.


Next I laid in the background colors, keeping in mind where the lights and darks would be on the cat, I put a light blue next to the portions that were darker in the cat and a more mid-range blue next to the highlights of the fur.  I like to lay in the darks when I do the background, so I can blur them a bit.


The next day I put another layer of deep dark color and filled in more of the shadow fur so I could blend it easier.  I don't concern myself too much with keeping it too crisp, as I plan to do another layer over everything anyway.  When it's dry it's easier to highlight the fur.


I then filled in the face.  It was tough to distinguish whether my colors were correct, so a lot of faith went with bridging the colors of the last two sessions.  I wasn't exact at all, which is frustrating, but as long as some of the groundwork is laid in you can always glaze it over and make it look more coherent. 


I then just used my left over paint that I had mixed and loaded it up with liquin, laying in the basic mid-tones and lighter areas.  This is just a good way to build up your colors, it's always good to have a bunch of layers when doing hair.  And it easily just takes another half hour of work.


The next day I worked on this, everything was dry so I started out the day by putting a layer of liquin over everything so I could see how the colors were relating to each other.  When that was dry, which wasn't long, I glazed a mixture of Ult. Blue, Aliz. Crimson, and Raw Umber together to darken all the shadow areas, which was most of the right side.  Then I spent a good hour or so picking out highlights of hair.  Then I moved onto filling in all the light areas of the cats body, and because I laid in that glaze to fill in that whole area, it went by a lot quicker than I would have thought initially.  


Finally I filled in the eye and tail, pretty much just doing the same as I had been for the past two days.  When doing the highlights I pretty much use as much liquin as I can to make the paint flow nicely.


As soon as this is dry I will scan it and post it.  This is probably the best fur I have done yet, which is quite exciting, cause I love painting hair.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Magic Feather

This is a piece I did for the Running with Paintbrushes blog Scott, Becca, and I are doing.  The assignment was to do a young adult oriented image based on "Flight".  Mine is more of a children's piece.  I had a great time doing this piece, and am really happy with the final product.  Really fun, got to take my subject matter less seriously. The Magic Feather , 11" x 17", Oil on Paper on Masonite, 2010.

Smilodon and Elasmotherium

I have just finished another two paintings in my ongoing Prehistoric Creatures series.  The most recent four in the series have all been mammals that lived millions of years after the dinosaurs went extinct.  I plan to do seven of these mammals and then go back to dinosaurs, maybe group them into Prehistoric Creatures Series 1, Series 2, etc.  They are all for sale, but they have been snatched up quick, so if anyone as inquiries on pricing, please email me at owweberillustration@gmail.com . I have been doing pencil portraits of many prehistoric animals on my instagram account, and these two have gotten the most likes, which is a great way of knowing which creature to paint next for this series.  Smilodon is very well know.  Along with the Woolly Mammoth, it's one of the most well known extinct creatures from the Early Pleistocene era.  It was only a matter of time before I was going to paint this guy.  I wanted to show it in a way that was not often depicted.  We've all see

Frostbite and Irish Elk

Yesterday, I received my contributor copy of Elder Sign: Omens of Ice which holds the painting "Frostbite" that I painted for it last year.  The idea behind it was that it was a man who had been frostbitten in his hands and face, in a New England town in the early 20th c., I believe.  The AD wanted him screaming and being brought into an ambulance.  I love doing this type of stuff, but I'm never given these types of assignments, so I was very excited.  And a word to the wise, don't google image search "frostbite", it's truly awful to look at.  Here is the sketch that I came up with: Frostbite Sketch, 12" x 8", Pencil. The AD thought the screaming mouth was a bit too much, so I closed it and went ahead with the painting.  Here is the final: Frostbite , 12" x 8", oil on paper on masonite, 2015. ©Fantasy Flight Games Another piece that I just finished and then immediately sold was my "Irish Elk" piece.  This animal w