Skip to main content

Fægår the Fearless


This piece has a bit of an interesting history.  I was given a commission to do a dwarf piece, where a dwarf king was kind of contemplating his past and thinking of where he went wrong.  So I did a really nice drawing of this; it was right up my alley(and I will eventually paint it also).  The art director loved it, but his bosses weren't quite on board.  So the art director asked for a dwarf in action.  So, while I was away for a wedding, I spent any second at the hotel sketching this image.  When I got back home, I sent the image to the art director, but because this back and forth had gone so slowly, mostly between the time of the first drawing and the decline from his bosses, this piece was in no way going to meet the deadline.  The piece was cancelled, and I was not compensated, because I had not started painting it yet, as stipulated in the contract.  Whatever, I was angry initially, not because I wouldn't get the money, but because I was happy with both images and they would not be published.  But that's how it goes sometimes, I think most illustrators have these types of stories. 

Anyway, I put this all behind me, and went ahead and painted the piece anyway.  Dwarves are awesome! And I'm not gonna just not paint one because I didn't get paid.  This is Fægår, (pronounced fay-go) a dwarf warrior that will inevitably walk away from this image, and in the future I will paint him in that throne, looking quite weary and old.  I wanted this piece to kind of have that feeling of old sepia toned photos, so when I paint the image of him as an older man, it will seem like he is looking back into his past.  Hope you all like it, I will try to finish the other one before Gen-Con.


Fægår the Fearless, 11"x11", Oil on Paper on Masonite, 2012



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Magic Feather

This is a piece I did for the Running with Paintbrushes blog Scott, Becca, and I are doing.  The assignment was to do a young adult oriented image based on "Flight".  Mine is more of a children's piece.  I had a great time doing this piece, and am really happy with the final product.  Really fun, got to take my subject matter less seriously. The Magic Feather , 11" x 17", Oil on Paper on Masonite, 2010.

Smilodon and Elasmotherium

I have just finished another two paintings in my ongoing Prehistoric Creatures series.  The most recent four in the series have all been mammals that lived millions of years after the dinosaurs went extinct.  I plan to do seven of these mammals and then go back to dinosaurs, maybe group them into Prehistoric Creatures Series 1, Series 2, etc.  They are all for sale, but they have been snatched up quick, so if anyone as inquiries on pricing, please email me at owweberillustration@gmail.com . I have been doing pencil portraits of many prehistoric animals on my instagram account, and these two have gotten the most likes, which is a great way of knowing which creature to paint next for this series.  Smilodon is very well know.  Along with the Woolly Mammoth, it's one of the most well known extinct creatures from the Early Pleistocene era.  It was only a matter of time before I was going to paint this guy.  I wanted to show it in a way that was not often depicted.  We've all see

Frostbite and Irish Elk

Yesterday, I received my contributor copy of Elder Sign: Omens of Ice which holds the painting "Frostbite" that I painted for it last year.  The idea behind it was that it was a man who had been frostbitten in his hands and face, in a New England town in the early 20th c., I believe.  The AD wanted him screaming and being brought into an ambulance.  I love doing this type of stuff, but I'm never given these types of assignments, so I was very excited.  And a word to the wise, don't google image search "frostbite", it's truly awful to look at.  Here is the sketch that I came up with: Frostbite Sketch, 12" x 8", Pencil. The AD thought the screaming mouth was a bit too much, so I closed it and went ahead with the painting.  Here is the final: Frostbite , 12" x 8", oil on paper on masonite, 2015. ©Fantasy Flight Games Another piece that I just finished and then immediately sold was my "Irish Elk" piece.  This animal w